As promised, here's the second half of our Valentine's Day free printables! This little set, which you can grab over here, has a little card, cupcake flags and a couple swing tags to finish off those little pressies for your lover.
Nothing is sweeter than a gift of home baked goodies... so here's our recipe for easy vanilla sugar cookies; perfect to fill your Valentine's favour bag with! And they are super delicious (I have eaten wayyyy too many during this little photoshoot!!)
Easy vanilla sugar cookies
6 cups sifted plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (450g) softened unsalted butter
2 cups caster sugar (or soft brown sugar for a slight caramel flavour)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
1. In large bowl, sift together flour and salt. Set aside.
2. Use an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
3. Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Mix in vanilla until well combined.
4. Remove 1/2 of dough from bowl, shape in to a ball and then flatten to a disc about 2" thick. Wrap well in plastic wrap. Repeat with 2nd half of dough.
5. Chill both discs of dough for about 45 minutes to an hour. Dough must be reasonably firm.
6. Remove one disc and remove plastic wrap. Place on top of a lightly floured surface.
7. Roll dough to an even thickness of about 1/4" using a silicone rolling pin. Cut out shapes using selected cutter(s). Remove excess dough ready for re-rolling.
8. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 degrees fan-forced). Place cut out shapes on baking trays lined with baking paper (or silicone baking mats), leaving about 2" clearance. Place filled trays in freezer for about 15 minutes to chill.
9. Remove from freezer and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
10. Cool cookies on trays for 5 minutes, then gently move cookies onto wire racks to finish cooling.
Cookies may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
*We decorated our cookies with tinted royal icing and sprinkled them coloured sanding sugar. You can also use coloured fondant: simply roll out tinted fondant to 3mm thick and cut out desired shape using the cookie cutter. Stick the fondant to the cookie using a few small dabs of water and carefully smooth the top. A simple and easy way to make gorgeous decorated cookies!
Happy Valentine's Day, we hope you have a sweet day with your special someone!